Busy Sunday, Heavy Eyes...

It's a case of the Mondays...

Welp, In this little posty, you'll get a few things: a recap of the weekend (which is why I've been absent for over a week), a few photos, and a recipe! Wow, you lucky dog!

But first, my favorite: HALLOWEEN!

This will be short and sweet: I was inspired to dress as a devil this Halloween. It was a first for me. I remember almost every costume - 50's girl, hobo, witch, prairie girl, hippie, water polo player, Poison Ivy, Medusa, female pimp, Jem, peacock, Bride of Frankenstein, white-trash mom, Ursula, etc.


In short, I was listening to Fiona Apple back in March and  hear "So what would an angel say? The devil wants to know...." And so, Friday night I donned horns, a make-shift red tutu, face paint, and a devilish grin. Success? I think so... You be the judge!

Next: Frank's Birthday!


My lovely husband turned 30 on October 16th. He was marginally freaked out about it. So I schemed with Momma Lynn & Janet to throw him a surprise party. It went off without a hitch on September 27th. He was seriously surprised (read: I wasn't sure if he was going to cry, pass out, or shit his pants), we had delicious food, an awesome football-themed dessert bar, lots of beer, and  I'm quite certain everyone had a great time.

Of course, I am forever in the running for the award of "Best. Wife. Ever!" So I also purchased 2 tickets to see the Forty-Niners take on the the St Louis Rams on November 2nd. I gave him said tickets on his actual birthday. Again, he was really surprised.

Well, yesterday was November 2nd. We attended the game and had a great time. We sat in fantastic seats, became high-five friends with the folks around us, and had a somber walk to the car after Kaepernick fumbled the quaterback sneak and lost the game. But I was having a great hair day, so I wasn't too upset.

Lastly: Yam, Apple & Onion hash (served with pork chops and stuffing)

Ok, so, it's fall. Like, for real. It's been getting colder and colder, and it even started raining - praise the Lord, California is in desperate need of rain! In any case, I've been wanting to try this concoction my brain came up with, so last week I went to the butcher at Safeway and told him how much I hate cooking pork chops because they're always tough and dry. He hand-picked 2 delicious chops for me and told me how to cook them: liberally salt and pepper both sides, dredge in plain flour, and brown in a butter/oil combo, about 5 minutes on each side. They were delicious!

But onto the yam, apple, and onion hash! I typically make a whiskey glazed yam & apple casserole for Thanksgiving/Christmas. So I took a page from that recipe, and made this. It was a success! Frank and I both really enjoyed this meal. I served it with Stove Top stuffing I happened to have in the pantry.

Yam, Apple & Onion hash

1 medium sweet onion, coarsely diced
1 large yam, peeled and cubed
2 cooking apples - I used Granny Smith
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter†
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup whiskey*

In a large, high-sided skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add yams and butter to pan and cook another 8 minutes, until yams are tender, stirring occasionally. Add apples, cinnamon, and honey to the pan. Cook over medium heat for another 3 minutes. De-glaze the pan with whiskey and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.

*If you're not a drinker/don't have whiskey, use a sweet, clear soda, like ginger ale or sprite and use just 1 tsp honey. You'll get the same sweet when you de-glaze the pan with out the alcohol.

† And for those eating clean, watching starch, etc. this recipe is Whole30 compliant if you omit the butter (you can use ghee) and replace the whiskey with water or approved chicken broth.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

62 Days of 30: Day 17/Day 32: If Variety Is The Spice Of Life...

Something Blue

You Need To Look Elsewhere...