62 Days of 30: Day 33: Why I Hate The Color Pink

I hate the color pink. There. I said it.

But really, it's not a secret. Even looking around my office, there is nothing pink. Not even a pen. I may own 1 or 2 articles of clothing that are pink, and chances are, I didn't pick them out myself.

Another admission? When I was pregnant, I told my sister she wouldn't get to go anywhere near my child if I was having a girl and she decided to throw me a baby shower with ANYTHING pink.

The fact of the matter is that the color itself, is simply, unpleasing to my eye. As a graphic designer, I break down colors into CMYK and RGB. What does that mean? CMYK is the 4-color process that is used to display colors for print. RGB is the the 3-color process that is used to display colors on electronics, ie: computer monitor, television, smartphone, etc. These colors are represented by a numerical value. I could go into a lot more detail, but, I understand that all this is relatively uninteresting for most of you.

Back to the topic at hand. For me, the color pink also represents a stereotype of young girls that I never, not ever at one point in my whole life, fit into. I am not dainty. I don't like frills. I do, however, like lace, strictly for the sheer artistic craftsmanship that goes into making it, but that's neither here nor there. I don't speak softly. I don't wear high heels. And when I am blessed with a child, no matter their gender, I have no plans to fit them into the boy and girl stereotypes that I grew up with. If my son wants to wear a pink tutu to school, well, I'll probably wear one, too, if that made him feel better. If my daughter wants to play football instead of going to ballet classes, Frank and I will teach her how to throw a spiral and watch every game.

Colors are something we all see every day, and, quite frankly, thanks to that idiotic dress, we've learned that we all perceive them differently, too. Pink is just a color that connects with too many unnecessary stereotypes. The worst one? "Boys don't wear pink!" Yeah, tell that to my dad who looks like a handsome mobster in his grey suit and pale pink shirt. He can rock that shit. I, on the other hand, never could. I just don't have the complexion for it ;-)

To sign off in the words of the intelligent Mr. Robert S. Kieve,
"... and THAT'S my PERSONAL opinion."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

62 Days of 30: Day 17/Day 32: If Variety Is The Spice Of Life...

Something Blue

62 Days of 30: Day 4/5: I Suck at Life...