The Money Diaries: Preface

So, I regularly read a series called "Money Diary" on Refinery29: a digital media company which brings into sharp focus the latest fashion, make-up, hair style, and life style trends for women in my age group.

The series takes a 7-day diary of a woman's spending habits. Most of them are in their late 20's to early 30's, some have roommates, some live alone, some are married, and they live in varying places, thought most seem to be in New York. Since I have never seen one for the Silicon Valley, and Frank and I just achieved such a coveted goal: home ownership in San Jose, I thought it would be a fun and educational experience to give this a shot.

Starting tomorrow, I will create a simple dialogue based on my spending, eating, and regular activities, which I am able to do based on my salary. These things will include, but are not limited to: Morning Starbucks runs, lunches out with my coworkers, trips to the vending machine, the bottled water I buy at the gas station, trips to Target or Wal-Mart, and unnecessary makeup purchases (because I like looking pretty!)

Additionally, I will divulge a brief overview of our financial situation. Though, because this will be public and I don't quite feel comfortable sharing EVERYTHING, I will simply leave some stuff out.

Why am I doing this and what do I hope to achieve?

I find this sort of project eye-opening and thought provoking. I plan to partake in the remainder this week as I would with or without this experiment. Including an event where I will spend a substantial amount of money on raffle tickets and bingo cards.

I hope to really see what I am spending, and where I can cut back. Also, I just think it will be a fascinating examination into my life.

I hope you'll join me on the journey this week!

Absolutely.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

62 Days of 30: Day 17/Day 32: If Variety Is The Spice Of Life...

Something Blue

You Need To Look Elsewhere...